Thursday 1 November 2012

Spotty baby

This morning started in a bit of a rush. I'd woken up at midnight, 2:00, 3:30, and 5:00. It was about 6:20 and I could hear the husband fiddling around with his alarm clock. Except it kept going and going. And then I realised that it was making a clicking sound instead of playing the radio and the husband was already five minutes late for meeting his friend to ride to work.

He leapt out of bed and dashed out, being fairly quiet considering what was going on, and I heard the baby stir. I waited her out for 10 minutes before I started to get myself ready for work - by the time I'd brushed my hair and got dressed, she was quiet again. I was able to eat my breakfast in piece, and be all ready to go with five minutes to spare before I needed to leave for my sister-in-law's house (so just enough time to get her dressed and in the car).

And when I crept in to her room and took off her nappy, I noticed some spots. And then I noticed them on her legs. And then I took her shirt off and saw them on her arms and front and back.

Greaaaaaaaaaaat.

From what I could pull together online, her rash wasn't dissapearing under a glass (as far as I could tell - everything is so much more complicated when it's in relation to a baby!), so I needed to get her seen to. It probably also wasn't a good idea to take her to see her 8 month old cousin.

The earliest we could get an appointment was 9:45, so I got back out of my work gear and in to my track pants.

The doctor said her rash was like the measles, but wasn't measles. She was to keep away from babies and pregnant women (ha!). As I'd 'already been exposed' it didn't change anything for me, but the big thing was to do lots of hand washing.

Overall, she's otherwise fine. She fell on her butt when I came out of my room and closed the door, and then she sat and got sadder and sadder, but a cuddle sorted her out. After lunch, she walked over and put her head on my leg, and when I carried her to bed she rested her head against me the whole time. What followed was just over an hour of chattering in her cot and running around, and only 20 minutes of potential nap time, but that's pretty standard.

I'm glad she doesn't seem too much different - I hope it passes soon and she feels fine. And I'm so glad it's not anything worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment