Tuesday 23 October 2012

An actual tantrum

Over the weekend, I thought the baby had her first tantrum.

It was late Sunday afternoon and we were playing with colouring pencils (after she'd had a go at a friends house and seemingly enjoyed it). We were also putting them in and out of the cup when she decided she wanted to start putting them in her mouth, and didn't want to be told not to. So she threw them at me. And when I put them away and told her not to throw, and wouldnt' get them for her when she pointed at them, she turned and curled up in a ball on the floor and cried.

And I patted her back and told her not to be silly and waited it out.

Then she calmed a little and wanted my water bottle. But she didn't want a drink and she didn't want to hold it and she didn't want to play with, so who knows what she actually wanted. Maybe she did, because when whatever it was wasn't happening, the tears started again.

I figured she was tired, so put her to bed. And after five minutes of noise and five minutes of silence, she was up in in her cot chatting away, ready to be up and out again.

Cue yesterday afternoon.

After spending the day with her Pa, she was in a good mood when I came home. Family tea was going to be at our house and one of my sisters in law called, so I answered. And the baby wanted to be picked up ('bup'), so I picked her up, But when I tried to put her down, she gave a big yell. So I kept holding her. And then she bit my shoulder.

I put her down, facing away from me. And. It. Began.

Tears. Teaaaaaaaaaaaaars. Sob. Teaaaaaaaaaaaaaars.

I'm glad dad was there with me.

She just stood and forced out crying and tears for a few minutes. We waited for her to calm. And when she started to calm down, she walked towards dad, had a drink and sat on his lap for a minute.

It was really interesting.

I knew I had to leave her to work it out, and I couldn't try to calm or hug her, otherwise she'd learn to cry until she got hugged.

My poor little baby is turning in to a real toddler....

No comments:

Post a Comment