Wednesday 3 October 2012

Up and at 'em

This afternoon I was sitting outside with my dad, watching the baby run around and generally try to get herself in trouble.

She came back over to us holding something in her hands and then stacked, just underneath the table. We waited and watched, there was no reaction from her. She just got up and went back on her way.

Dad told me how he and mum had been talking about how different I was as a baby, compared to the baby. Apparently, I was a lot softer. Dad pointed out that her stack would have resulted in a meltdown from baby-me.

When the baby was learning to walk, she would stop and drop as soon as you let go of her. And I would always tell the nurses that she was cautious like her mummy (I'm still a giant wuss).

But I wonder how much of our temperaments is nature and how much is nurture?

Because I felt like I would lose either way (either I was a wuss baby or she isn't enough of a wuss baby) I joked that it had to do with how we'd each been raised.

The husband and I have always waited to see how she reacted before rushing to pick her up or soothe her. And when she has a fall that warrants in a bit of a shock, we'll make sure she's okay, but not go over the top in trying to soothe her. We're both pretty realistic in that she's going to hurt herself every which way at least once, so it's better for her to get up and get over it.

But it makes you wonder if things could have gone differently?

(That said, I'm very happy with her rough-and-tumble-ness!)

No comments:

Post a Comment