Thursday 19 January 2012

All the love

Yesterday we had one of the few hot days we've had in this poor excuse of a summer.

It was my turn to host mother's group, so the baby and I spent the morning (and the first part of the afternoon) sitting on the floor of the family room with a bunch of lovely ladies and their babies.

After everyone left and we tidied up, I managed to get  a fifteen minute afternoon nap out of her. But she was sleeping on me and it was too hot and I needed to pee, and she woke up when I tried to shift her to the cot.

And when I tried to get her to take a second nap in the early evening, she knew what I was up to. After laying on my bed with her for an hour, I got her up on belly and patted her butt for ten minutes, only to get a twenty minute nap for both of us.

She woke up, she lifted her big head up from my chest and she stared at me with her giant smile.

And in that moment I knew - all of her love was for me.

She's only been here for six months. Who knows how long she's had conscious thought for. Who knows what she actually thinks.

But she knows who I am. She knows that I lover her. She knows that when she's hungry, or thirsty, or tired, or windy, or just needs a hug - I'll be there.

She was sitting on my belly, holding on to my thumbs, rocking herself back and forward to her hearts content. She was smiling and she was happy. She was safe and secure. She was healthy and full and loved.

And all of her love was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment