Monday 6 February 2012

Daddies are for wild things

Saturday night, I hit the town for one of my best friends birthdays.

I'd been looking forward to this night since I got the invite and I gave the husband plenty of notice that I was going out out. Not like the other things I have been to since the grand arrival, where you go out and then you spend all the time checking your phone for updates and then make you make your excuses and go home. I wanted to go out out.

Of course, these things are harder to manage now.

The party started at 7, which is when baby goes to bed. So the husband couldn't really drop me off. And then, of course, he couldn't really pick me up in the middle of the night when I wanted to come home.

I bought some formula a few weeks ago after speaking to one of the MACH nurses. I knew we were down to just one bottle of expressed milk in the freezer, and the feeling of not being so achy-full of milk is actually quite pleasant. And she explained that seeing as the baby is eating all sorts of things now, drinking formula (which is designed for babies to drink) wasn't a big deal -particularly as I wasn't looking to give it to her every day (which would decrease my supply). I've been trying to get the husband to give it to the baby, to see how she goes - but I can tell he's against it. If I try to give it to her, I know she won't take it - she's clued in to my milk-stank so it will be a no go. And I know if I'm around while he tries to give it to her, the two of them are likely to give in.

I can understand - I'm pretty 'lucky' in that I carry around on me a pretty much magic cure for anything wrong with her. If we can't work it out, I can whip them out. Between those and my seven-months-of-baby patience, I'm pretty well set up to deal with it. But the husband doesn't have them or that. He spends a lot of time with her when he's not at work, and it's so lovely to see. But, as the book she got him for Christmas is titled, Daddies are for Wild Things. They're aren't necessarily as well placed to deal with everything.

This is not even where I thought this post would go...!

Long story short, I offered to stay home but the husband gave me the night off. The baby was crying a cry we hadn't heard before, but I gave her some panadol and she gave up a massive burp, and I found out via text that she went straight to sleep pretty much after that.

I had a great night out. It had been over a year since I've been able to just let my hair down and just focus on my friends (until midnight, when I realised it was getting ever closer to that 1am wakeup that I should probably be home for because I didn't know how the husband was planning to deal with it). And I was actually told by a friend how good it was to see me like that, because she knew it's been a while since I've had it.

And I'm so lucky to have parents who picked up my car for me, and good friends who dropped me home!

No comments:

Post a Comment