Wednesday 8 February 2012

Dumbo tears

I was reading a short article the other day, written by a mother who was listing the scary or sad scenes in Disney movies that she wouldn't be letting her daughter see.

The article contained a screengrab from the movie Dumbo, just the little elephant looking up with a tear in his eye. Just from that image, I felt a heaviness. I knew it was sad, but I couldn't remember what happened. So I watched it (you can see it here).

It totally got me.

It's crazy to think about how having a baby can change so many different things in so many different ways. I know I  probably always would have got upset at watching it (I'm a little bit oversensitive), but this hit me on a different level.

The mother being separated from the baby. For defending her baby, who was being bullied. She's unable to see him or help him or be with him. They reach out with longing.

Yeah, it's just a stupid cartoon.

But my baby looks at me with that innocence and that devotion. My baby closes her eyes like that when I pat her head. My baby intertwines her limbs with mine in a way and with a closeness that only comes from us being part of the same. In the past year, my body grew something amazing from the smallest of the smallest of things. I can feel that tangible ribbon that binds us together for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment