Tuesday 14 February 2012

'No'

I got an email from one of the many baby websites I'm subscribed to - it's another one that updates you on your baby's progress from week to week. Apparently, for 7 months + 2 weeks:

By now, you may have already told your baby that the telephone is not a toy, or that rattles are not for throwing, or that his sister's hair is not for pulling. At this age your baby may begin testing your authority by refusing to follow your simple directions. He's not being disobedient or wilful – just curious.

Keep in mind that he also simply can't remember things you tell him for more than a couple of seconds at a time. The best tactic is to use a simple "no" and then distract him.

Similar to this post the other week - how?!

I think that perhaps what I can't get my head around is the whole concept of learning a language. In my head, they need to be shown a thing, have it pointed at, and the name said a bunch of times so that they know what it means.

And obviously, you can't show them a 'no' or a 'sad' or a 'love'.

On the same theme, my dad sent us a link to an article that babies aged six to nine months understand the meaning on many words, with a big leap at the fourteen month mark.

I guess I better up my talking and pointing!

No comments:

Post a Comment