Monday 8 August 2011

Don't take me out

How did dinner go? It didn't.

Baby slept for 4.5 hours that afternoon, waking for a feed at 5:30pm. Which would have been fine except we weren't ready for dinner yet, hadn't fed the dogs, and didn't know if the place we wanted to go out to would have a table free without a reservation (we had no idea what time we would be finished with feeding and have finished dropping the baby off with the husbands mum).

The tears started at 6pm. She wasn't cold, she didn't need a change and she didn't want to feed anymore, based on her stubborn insistence at pulling her head away from me and beating me with tiny little fists and sharp little nails.

At 8pm, she finally latched on again. At 8:20 we made the decision to call the husband's parents and apologise for not bringing her around (in the knowledge that they had cancelled dinner plans for themselves so that they would be free to look after her) and ordered takeaway.

I calmed myself down on the drive over to get dinner, reasoning that perhaps I was feeling frustrated because I was just as worried about going out without her as I was disappointing about not going out without her.

At 8:45 I sat down with a plate of Thai food on my lap, a bacardi and lime in my right hand and a crying baby in my left.

At 9:00 she indicated she was hungry again, and she chugged the 70ml that I had expressed as a backup for the husband's parents while we were on our night out.

At 10:00 we finally got her take a dummy for the first time.

At 10:30 it fell out not long after we finally got her back in her bassinet.

At 11:40, 12:00, 12:30 and 1:30 she fed again.

I guess she showed us it might have been too early to plan a night out.

I might start planning ahead for Fathers Day dinner... we have a wedding to attend mid October, so she we need to get the hang of this soonish.

No comments:

Post a Comment