Sunday 22 September 2013

Long weekend.

This post is being brought to you by a dinner of smoked salmon and brie, and a vodka.

I had a long weekend.

The Husband was interestate on an adventure race - nothing against him in the slightest, I would want the same opportunities/allowances if/when I wanted them. Plus I was encouraging him to do it.

However, The Toddler was coming down with a head cold, and The Bubby is snotty now too, and I've got a mild strain.

We have plenty of experience with how much harder The Toddler is when she is coming down with something or sick. She is normally very busy, but when she is on the path to unwell she is just that much harder. Plus she is totally flexing her muscles at being two, is going through some crazy love/hate thing with me being home where she is both joined to me at the hip but also seemingly quicker to get angry/cranky/frustrated with me. She has continued to wake before 6:30am, even though we have bought the Gro-clock (it changes from a picture of a star to a moon at 6:30 which is meant to be her cue that she is now allowed out of her room). Her coughing has meant her naps/sleep have been interupted a lot (coughing every 10 minutes or so).

She has started pulling a face at me which is a glare - if you pull it back at her she laughs, but I find it very hard to get to that point. I don't know why I find it so hard.

I found myself at times working really hard not to say what I really felt.

Both parents commented that I should be kinder and that I was struggling.

My mother in law came past to visit at dinner time just to help out, unprompted.

I have enrolled in a parenting workshop later this month, titled 'Small changes, Big differences'. It's meant to offer strategies to help life at home run more smoothly, with less fuss and more fun and engagement with kids. I don't think I'm a bad parent, but The Bubby being 2 years younger than The Toddler, I don't want to still be here/be back here in two years time.

There's no point to this, just a ramble.

I would love a do-over, but I wonder if I could do it any differently.




No comments:

Post a Comment