Friday 6 April 2012

Friends and friends

In the lead-up to both mine and the husband's 30th birthdays, I found myself remembering going to an 'over the hill' party for one of my parents friends, years and years ago.

My parents have been friends with this couple for a long time - I think my mum went to school with one of them, but I know they worked together too.

I remember it always being fun when we would go there for dinner- we'd be set up in the next room, watching movies with our doonas that we brought from home while the adults sat at the table in the good room and laughed. When they came to our house for dinner, I remember the whole family helping to clean up. I remember there would be anchovy puffs for adults and puff pastry for kids, there would be top deck chocolate or after dinner mints, candles and the good tablecloth, and there would be wine and laughter and a late night.

As we've gotten older, they continue to be friends. They've been on that outer edge as we've grown up from kids to teenagers to adults and now to parents.

The husband and I have been together for more than eight years now, and we have a group of friends that have come together from going to the same college - there is a 2.5 year old, a 2.5 month old, and and an almost 10 month old in this group.

We are going to be 'those' people. We are going to be those adults that come over to visit, that always seem happy and excited, that laugh and talk loud and quickly, that ask what they learnt in school, that will set up the tv in a dim room so they can settle in to the couch with our daughter and watch movies until they fall asleep, carried out to the car for the long drive home.

Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment