Tuesday 20 March 2012

Close call

I've been trying to get the baby to keep herself entertained - to limit separation anxiety and to give her plenty of time to learn to roll and crawl and walk and explore. After she wakes from a nap, I change her nappy, give her either a snack or a meal, and then put her on her mat in our dining room.

She was laying around on the mat this afternoon, chewing on the edge of the mat after she scooted there (she still only scoots backwards, but she can spin on the spot). I was looking at the computer and saw her, so I got up to put her back in the middle of the mat.

As I picked her up and was putting her down, I heard a loud banging noise right behind me.

All of a sudden, one of our wedding photos fell off the wall (the hook stayed stuck to the paint and the paint peeled off the wall), and the photo hit hit a big glass vase that was on the hutch undeneath it, which knocked it off the hutch and on to the floor with a giant bang.

Right where the baby had been just seconds before.

I'm not sure what made me choose that moment to move her - she had probably been there for a while before I moved her.

The husband said that perhaps the vibrations from me walking over to her was what shook the picture off.

He said that in her life, there are going to be dozens of 'close calls'.

But I'm trying not to think about the fact that it would have caused her some serious damage - perhaps even killed her. The vase is thick and heavy and fell hard. It might have broken if it hit her, it might have not. Either way, it would have been terrible.

Scary stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment