Saturday 3 March 2012

Wailing

Unfortunately, the sleep regression is yet to stop.

Wednesday night, she woke again around midnight, and took half an hour to settle.

Thursday night, the husband popped her dummy in when she started, and she settled back until 6am.

Friday night - ugh. Friday night.

The husband was staying at a friends house, as part of the bridal party before the wedding today. At 11.30, she woke up with her loud crying that has become a habit. At 12.15, after several tries of picking her up to calm her and then putting her down, I removed myself from her room and went to the bathroom - there comes a point when all I feel is tense, and I've been known to stand in the middle of the room and just clap my hands together (as if that would do anything!!!) and that's when I know it's time to stop.

When I got out of the bathroom - silence.

She started up again 5 minutes later, but I monitored her crying. It sounded like whinging and calling out, then she would go back to sleep for a few mintues. And over time, it got louder and louder as she cried, even though it stopped, until it was after 1am and I could hear her screaming.

I had to sit in the rocker with her as her sobs died off, just to keep her calm. As soon as she was in my arms, she would curl up on her side and stroke my pyjamas as she drifted off to sleep.

I used this as an opportunity to message the husband (half-jokingly) that he was banned from sleepovers forever. He was sorry to hear it but suggested feeding her. I told him that I was trying to avoid it (as I don't want it to become habit) and that she didn't seem hungry - she just wanted a hug. Then I put her down.

And she woke up.

So I repeated it for fifteen minutes, and put her down on her side (which I know is a no-no, but it's how she seems to be sleeping now). And I finally got to sleep just before 2am.

The MACH nurse said that there are times when babies are just processing so much, they can't sleep. So it could be that having the harness off has made a big change for her - the husband noted that he thinks she is a lot more coordinated and interested in things now. And I can see how her shifting around on the floor is happening in a more coordinated way.

But I just want her to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment