Friday 16 March 2012

Singing

Since the baby came out of the harness, I've been giving her a bath every night that I can (that is, every night that we're not out for dinner somewhere).

We moved one of our iPod speaker things in to her room a while back, to try to play her some music on an afternoon when she wouldn't settle, so I use it to pump some music while I'm bathing her so I've got something to sing along to, but also so I can gauge how long we've been in the bathroom.

I was just going to post the lyrics to the song I start singing along to, but the lyrics are a bit sad and not really appropriate when you read them and don't know the song....


"Statued" - Adem

Watch the dark clouds bruising
Bellies flushed with water
They swell above your heads

Pull your coats around you
Feel the wind cut through them
Scraping at your bones

Hold her in the falling rain
Hold him like you’ve never done
Let this be a moment
That you won’t forget
That you won’t forget
That you won’t forget
All your life
‘til you die

Statued close together
A precious, tender moment
A solemn, sombre time

Hold her in the falling rain
Hold him like you’ve never done
Let this be a moment
That you won’t forget
That you won’t forget
That you won’t forget
All your life
‘til you die

The main reason I sing along to it is the last two verses... I thought I had already written (but I had only thought about) how it's so nice while she's so little and enjoys the bath. It's always a positive experience and fun to witness. And then, in a few years down the track, she's going to be the same girl in the same bath, but it's obviously not going to be a fun family experience that we share.

So I like to sing along to remind myself to enjoy these moments, to remember these things that she just won't. The way she kicks her legs out like a frog and then gasps when she gets water on her faces. How she does her shocked squeal when I add more water to the tub. Her little dimpled butt in the mirror once I've dried her off and am about to take her back to her room for her pyjamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment