Saturday 10 March 2012

First Aid

Thanks to one of the ladies in my mothers group, I attended a first aid course for babies and toddlers this morning.

I think I spent half of the session with my mouth hanging open.

There are just so many terrible things that can happen, so easily.

It's great to have more of an idea of what to do if terrible things were to happen - if I had spilt hot formula on the baby, would I have had the presence of mind to know to take off all her clothes? Would I actually remember that now (heaven forbid)?

Would I be able to stay collected enough to do CPR successfully? Would I focus enough to hold her eye open and under a running tap for 15 full minutes if she were to get poison in her eyes? Could I work out how to tourniquet her arm if he hand were nearly amputated?

Knowledge is power, but some of the things that I now 'know' could happen are absolutely terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment