Saturday 19 May 2012

Baptism

Tomorrow the baby is getting baptised.

Both the husband and I are were baptised, and we went to the same primary school (only a few minutes from our house), high school and college. We both went to church weekly until some time towards the end of high school.

The husband is an atheist. Flat out, science only, no souls, atheist.

I am a little more fluid. I'm not really sure what I believe. Souls? Yes. Heaven? I hope so. Jesus? Not sure. But I am pro marriage equality, I believe priests should be allowed to marry, and women should be able to serve at the same level in the church. There are a few things that have affected my family to some degree that I also disagree with.

That said, we both believe we were gifted with a good education and our daughter should be able to access that. Also, we believe that family is important, so we wanted formalise the relationship between her and some of her aunts and uncles, and we knew that there were people in our family who also thought it was important.

When I was younger, I remember hearing about the other families who only went to church at Christmas or Easter time. It's more likely than not that we will become one of those families, but at this stage I believe we will  be guided by what she wants to do.

Fingers crossed that she behaves...

No comments:

Post a Comment