Friday 11 May 2012

First Aid - one

So, yesterday I got a 'chance' to use some of my first aid skills.

We have a few big oak/elm trees (I don't actually know what type) out in the backyard, and while they are beautiful trees, they are the bane of the husbands existence from around March to July each year.

As the first signs of Autumn show, they drop thousands of tiny little brown leaves, each about half the size of a five cent piece. Once they've dropped about three quarters of all they have, the start shedding the next size up, thousands of leaves roughly the size of a finger section.

It was one of these leaves that the baby decided to put in her mouth.

I saw her just as she was doing it, a split second too late.

I tried everything I could to get it out - of course 'Open!! Open your mouth!!!!' didn't work, and she reaaaaaaaally doesn't like people poking around in her mouth, so I was trying to jam my finger in there (avoiding the seven teeth) and trying to fish out this leaf.

The last I saw of it, before my finger was rudely ejected, it was stuck to the roof of her mouth.

And then she started coughing in a half choke.

Instantly, she copped a couple of thumps to the back.

I was down on the floor next to her, and I put her on her belly on the floor, then picked up her butt, and then gave her a few more for good measure.

Then it seems she swallowed it.

Gotta say, I am glad I had done the course - while I was trying to fish it out, I was visualising what I was probably going to have to do next.

I also gotta say, I have to keep a better eye on how clear we keep this floor (even though one of the childcare owners indicated that she will quickly work out that leaves are not tasty and she will give up on them).

No comments:

Post a Comment