Wednesday 2 May 2012

Countdown from two

The baby is down to just two breastfeeds a day.

When we got back from holiday, I opened an email that outlined a few days over the next three months that I need to go in to work to get trained in the role I will be starting on the first of August.

I had already made the decision when the baby started biting me (it only happens once every week or so now, and not usually too hard) that I wouldn't go back to pumping milk because I was over and done with being so engorged and uncomfortable, and it takes at least half an hour to do after each feed. We tried to get her on to formula by adding it to her cereal, but it wasn't really working so we gave it up.

Yesterday I tried to replace the afternoon feed with formula in a sippy cup, but she was on to me. She took a small taste and then pulled a very unimpressed face. I managed to trick her a few more times with the sippy cup (she'd open her mouth for a drink until she got a taste of it and would then pull away) and a few more with a normal cup without a lid, but I don't think she took much at all.

I stayed in all afternoon as I fully expected her to turn a bit feral from hunger, but nope. She was totally fine.

I called the nurses line this morning just to confirm that it was okay to 'drop' that feed, and it was fine.

And I've got to tell you, it feels so freeing to know that our day is now fully our own. Of course, I need to keep aware of her nap times, but I don't need to worry or factor in that feed. Just the one after breakfast and the one before bed.

Of course, I may be a little more upset when she is completely weaned, but this is a nice midpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment